United Way of Sun Coast brings together people and resources to tackle complex issues and drive sustainable positive change to help our community thrive.
Improve the lives of children, families and
If you are a veteran
in need of help,
More than 95,000 veterans call Hillsborough County home. Whether they left the service years ago or are currently transitioning to civilian life, many struggle with the challenges of navigating a complex system of services and finding their place in their community.
A BETTER WAY FOR OUR VETERANS
More than 40,000 nonprofit organizations provide services exclusively to veterans, service members and their families. With such an overwhelming and fragmented space, knowing where to start can be a daunting task. MISSION UNITED makes these services easier to navigate by providing a coordinated care network with a simple entry point through 2-1-1.
MISSION UNITED, through 2-1-1, connects veterans to resources to help with:
- Getting Connected
- Legal Assistance
- Family and Caregivers
Working Together for our Military and Veteran Community
In addition to ensuring our military and veteran community can easily access the services and benefits they have earned, MISSION UNITED partners work together to advocate and organize around 5 key areas:
- Transition to Civilian Live – It is a process, not an event.
- Employment – Veterans fulfilling a new role, outside of their uniform.
- Benefits – Veteran benefits are earned.
- Family & Caregivers – Our military strength starts at home.
- Changing the Narrative for our military and veteran community
VeteranSDS – In partnership with PAR, Mission United is proud to offer the Self-Directed Search for veterans! The VeteranSDS is an online resource designed for veterans and active-duty military personnel that links military skills and ranks to civilian occupations and careers to which they are suited.
MISSION UNITED Advisory Council Members:
- George Howell – Partner, Holland & Knight (Chair)
- Jeff Cathey – Director & Senior Vice President, Military Bank Overseas/Military Affairs; Vice Chair, Bank of America
- Mike Bedke – Partner, DLA Piper; Chair Elect, Bay Area Legal Services
- Julianna Boor – Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Benefits Administration
- Dr. Larry Braue – Director, Office of Veterans Success, University of South Florida
- Gary Clark – Colonel, USAF (Ret) Chairman, Polk County Veterans Council
- Major General Richard “Beef” Haddad – Retired Air Force
- Aleksandra Johnston – Program Manager Hiring Our Heroes Fellowship Program
- Jessica Muroff – President and CEO, United Way Suncoast
- Clara Reynolds – President & CEO, Crisis Center of Tampa Bay
- Bob Rohrlack – President and CEO, Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce
- Jim Sampey – Chairman, Veterans Florida
- Kay Schwartz – Executive Director, Human Resources Operations, USAA
- Frank Strom – Director, Consumer & Veteran Services at Hillsborough County
- Dick Woltmann – President & CEO, Bay Area Legal Services
- Tina Fischer – Member, Fletcher & Fischer
- Major General Lawrence Martin – Retired Air Force