Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – VITA
United Way of Sun Coast brings together people and resources to tackle complex issues and drive sustainable positive change to help our community thrive.
Improve the lives of children, families and
Following recommendations from the CDC and Florida Department of Health, United Way Suncoast will continue to offer our VITA services at limited capacity.
As part of the Prosperity Campaigns of Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties plus the VITA Programs in Sarasota and DeSoto Counties, United Way Suncoast supports free tax preparation assistance and education regarding Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) at numerous locations throughout the four-county region.
BREAKING DOWN ‘Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – VITA’
While many low income-tax payers are fully capable of filling out a basic tax form, many lack an understanding of the complex rules for certain tax credits that can aid lower-income taxpayers. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program has been instrumental in helping these households receive thousands of dollars in additional refunds.
United Way Suncoast and partners served 10,572 families this current tax season. (This includes Hillsborough AARP sites & military sites at MacDill and the Airman and Family Readiness Center).
VITA United Way Suncoast-specific provided over $13 million in money back to the community in refunds & fees saved as well as $4.8 million in Earned Income Tax credit and Child Tax Credit.
Need to File a Return
Did you earn less than $74,000 last year? Have your federal tax return prepared, e-filed, and direct deposited for FREE. If you need additional assistance with amending your return or received a notice from the IRS, United Way Suncoast’s VITA program can help.
FILE IN-PERSON – Call site directly to schedule an appointment as we cannot accept walk-ins
All Faiths Food Bank (Drop off)
June 28th to October 31st
941-379-6333 ext. 21305
Hillsborough Community College
June 7th to August 4th
Daystar Life Center
June 8th to November 9th
United Way Suncoast (Sarasota)
June 7th to November 1st
- Federal Photo IDs (If filing jointly, both spouses must be present WITH ID.)
- ORIGINAL Social Security cards and correct birthdates for all family members
- If you have received a notice or letter from the IRS, please bring it with you.
- Click link for additional Documents Needed
FILE YOUR OWN TAXES FOR FREE
Free remote tax filing is available from the comfort of your own home while still having access to help from our certified volunteers.
This is the right option for you if:
- Your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) is $73,000 or less
- You are only filing for 2021 (not previous years)
- You’re comfortable using online tax services
- Your tax situation is simple/straightforward
Visit our FAQ page for answers to frequently asked questions about preparing your own tax return.
Preparing your return, but have questions? Enter your question and an IRS-certified volunteer will be in touch within two business days.
File a Return in Person
All appointments are currently booked. You can check for cancellations by clicking the appointment links below.
Did you earn less than $74,000 last year? Have your federal tax return prepared, e-filed, and direct deposited for FREE.
- Documents Needed
- Interview/Intake Sheet
- COVID-19 Screening Questions (Required) Please review prior to your appointment.
- COVID-19 Safety Precautions
- All sites require an appointment. No walk-ins allowed.
- Appointments will be spaced in a way to limit the interaction of taxpayers and allow for social distancing.
- Only the taxpayer (and spouse if married filing jointly) may come to the site. No other individuals will be admitted.
- All volunteers and taxpayers must wear a mask covering both the nose and mouth at the site. Masks will be available at all sites if needed.
- Hand sanitizer will be available.
Book an Appointment
What is ‘Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – VITA’?
VITA is an IRS program that utilizes certified volunteers to help provide free and accurate tax preparation services to low- to moderate-income taxpayers. These services are provided at a variety of public locations such as libraries, schools, and neighborhood centers in certain high-need areas. VITA has been instrumental in helping ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) households receive thousands of dollars in additional refunds.
Direct Deposit Information
Using direct deposit is the safest and fastest way to receive your tax refund. You will need an account number and a routing number from a bank or a credit union to set up direct deposit. Please see our Bank On Suncoast page for a recommended list of no-overdraft and low-cost checking accounts available in the Suncoast region. Open a Bank On certified checking account online today or at any of the locations listed.
The following partners help make our free tax preparation possible through funding, training, site availability and support:
• CDC of Tampa
• Florida Prosperity Partnership
• Linnie E. Dalbeck Memorial Foundation
• MacDill RAO
• Regions Bank
• Republic Bank
• Third Federal
• United Way Suncoast
• Wells Fargo
United Way Suncoast, with partnerships across the community, is committed to breaking the cycle of poverty by leading and participating in programs focused on helping families and individuals increase income and build financial assets.