Following recommendations from the CDC and Florida Department of Health, United Way Suncoast will continue to offer tax preparation services throughout our region by appointment only.
Did you earn less than $66,000 last year? Have your federal tax return prepared, e-filed, and direct deposited for FREE.
As part of the Prosperity Campaigns of Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties plus the VITA Programs in Sarasota and DeSoto Counties, United Way supports free tax preparation assistance and education regarding Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) at numerous locations throughout the Suncoast region.
What is ‘Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – VITA’?
VITA is an IRS program that utilizes certified volunteers to help provide free and accurate tax preparation services to low- to moderate-income taxpayers. These services are provided at a variety of public locations such as libraries, schools, and neighborhood centers in certain high-need areas. The VITA has been instrumental in helping ALICE households receive thousands of dollars in additional refunds.
Need to File a Return:
United Way Suncoast’s VITA program has a variety of methods to help you.
FILE IN-PERSON (APPOINTMENT ONLY)
- CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF VITA SITES. (Coming soon!)
- Call site directly to schedule an appointment or Click here (link coming soon!) to make an appointment.
- Documents Needed. Information about Economic Impact Payments (stimulus checks) received.
- COVID-19 Screening Questions (Required)
- COVID-19 Safety Precautions
- All sites will require an appointment. No walk-ins allowed.
- Appointments will be spaced in a way to limit the interaction of taxpayers and allow for social distancing.
- Only the taxpayer (and spouse if married filing jointly) may come to the site. No other individuals will be admitted.
- All volunteers and taxpayers must wear a mask covering both the nose and mouth at the site. Masks will be available at all sites if needed.
- Hand sanitizer will be available and surfaces will be disinfected between appointments.
Free Remote Tax Prep Assistance
Free remote tax filing is available to access from the comfort of your own home. Click here to request information about how to prepare your own tax return with the help of our certified volunteers.
- No income limit requirement
- This is the right option for you if:
- You are only filing for 2020 (not previous years)
- You’re comfortable using online tax services
- Your tax situation is simple/straightforward
- You need a quick option
- Visit our FAQ page for answers to frequently asked questions about preparing your own tax return
- Preparing your return, but have questions? Click here to enter your question and an IRS-certified volunteer will be in touch.
Direct Deposit Information:
Using direct deposit is the safest and fastest way to receive your tax refund and economic impact payments. You will need an account number and a routing number from a bank or a credit union to set up direct deposit. Please see our Bank On Suncoast page for a recommended list of no-overdraft and low-cost checking accounts available in the Suncoast region. Open a Bank On certified checking account online today or at any of the locations listed.
The following partners help make our free tax preparation possible through funding, training, site availability and support:
|CDC of Tampa||United Way Suncoast|
|Republic Bank||MacDill RAO|
|Third Federal||Florida Prosperity Partners|
|Wells Fargo||Linnie E. Dalbeck Memorial Foundation|