Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – VITA
United Way of Sun Coast brings together people and resources to tackle complex issues and drive sustainable positive change to help our community thrive.
Improve the lives of children, families and
As part of the Prosperity Campaigns of Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties along with the VITA Programs in Sarasota and DeSoto Counties, United Way supports free tax preparation assistance and education regarding the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) at numerous locations throughout the Suncoast region.
In-person VITA sites will reopen January 24, 2022 by appointment, which can be made online (see below) or via phone at (833) UWS-VITA (833-897-8482).
File a Return in Person
Did you earn less than $74,000 last year? Have your federal tax return prepared, e-filed, and direct deposited for FREE.
- Documents Needed
- Interview/Intake Sheet
- COVID-19 Screening Questions (Required) Please review prior to your appointment.
- COVID-19 Safety Precautions
- All sites require an appointment. No walk-ins allowed.
- Appointments will be spaced in a way to limit the interaction of taxpayers and allow for social distancing.
- Only the taxpayer (and spouse if married filing jointly) may come to the site. No other individuals will be admitted.
- All volunteers and taxpayers must wear a mask covering both the nose and mouth at the site. Masks will be available at all sites if needed.
- Hand sanitizer will be available.
Book an Appointment
Free Remote Tax Prep Assistance
Free remote tax filing is available from the comfort of your own home while still having access to help from our certified volunteers.
File your own taxes for FREE
- This is the right option for you if:
- Your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) is $73,000 or less
- You are only filing for 2021 (not previous years)
- You’re comfortable using online tax services
- Your tax situation is simple/straightforward
- Visit our FAQ page for answers to frequently asked questions about preparing your own tax return.
- Preparing your return, but have questions? Enter your question and an IRS-certified volunteer will be in touch within two business days.
What is ‘Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – VITA’?
VITA is an IRS program that utilizes certified volunteers to help provide free and accurate tax preparation services to low- to moderate-income taxpayers. These services are provided at a variety of public locations such as libraries, schools, and neighborhood centers in certain high-need areas. VITA has been instrumental in helping ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) households receive thousands of dollars in additional refunds.
Direct Deposit Information
Using direct deposit is the safest and fastest way to receive your tax refund. You will need an account number and a routing number from a bank or a credit union to set up direct deposit. Please see our Bank On Suncoast page for a recommended list of no-overdraft and low-cost checking accounts available in the Suncoast region. Open a Bank On certified checking account online today or at any of the locations listed.
The following partners help make our free tax preparation possible through funding, training, site availability and support:
|CDC of Tampa||United Way Suncoast|
|Republic Bank||MacDill RAO|
|Third Federal||Florida Prosperity Partnership|
|Wells Fargo||Linnie E. Dalbeck Memorial Foundation|
United Way Suncoast, with partnerships across the community, is committed to breaking the cycle of poverty by leading and participating in programs focused on helping families and individuals increase income and build financial assets.