Bank On Suncoast
United Way of Sun Coast brings together people and resources to tackle complex issues and drive sustainable positive change to help our community thrive.
Improve the lives of children, families and
Bank On: An On-Ramp To Prosperity
63 million Americans, including a lot of community members served by United Way Suncoast, either don’t have a bank account or can’t get a bank account. That leaves them without a lot of valuable services. Fortunately, United Way Suncoast is the lead convener of Bank On Suncoast, a program that aims to help the unbanked and the underbanked. Bank On provides access to safe and affordable banking products. What are the advantages?
- No overdraft or unexpected fees.
- Your money is safe and insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).
- Instead of paying check cashing and unexpected fees, you can use Bank On certified accounts for $5 or less per month.
- Bank On certified accounts come with debit cards; free bill pay function or four free insured money orders each month, depending on account selected.
- A relationship with a bank or credit union can help you gain access to credit and save for the future.
- Open your new Bank On certified bank account at your choice of more than 20 local financial institutions. Many can be opened online within 5 minutes right from your smartphone.
On Certified Accounts available in the Suncoast Region
- Alliant Credit Union High-Rate Checking – Open an account online
- Alliant Credit Union Teen Checking Account – Open an account online
- Ally Bank Interest Checking Account – Open an account online
- Bank of America Advantage SafeBalance Account – Open an account online
- Bank OZK Freedom Advantage Checking Account
- BayFirst Essentials Checking
- BMO Harris Bank Smart MoneyTM Account – Open an account online
- Cadence Bank eChecking Account
- Capital One 360 Checking Account – Open an account online
- Centennial Bank Simply 100 Checking Account
- Chase Secure Banking – Open an account online
- Citi Access – Open an account online
- Discover Bank Cashback Debit Checking Account – Open an account online
- Fifth Third Bank Express Banking Account – Open an account online
- First Horizon Bank Access Checking Account
- PNC Bank Smart Access Account – Open an account online
- PNC Bank Foundations Checking – Open an account online
- Regions Bank Now Checking℠ – Open an account online
- Republic Bank Simple Access Account – Open an account online
- Stearns Bank BankOnStearns– Open an account online
- Synovus Budget Checking – Open an account online
- TD Bank TD Essential Banking – Open an account online
- The First Bank First Aid Checking – Open an account online
- Truist Confidence – Open an account online
- Truist Money Account – Open an account online
- US Bank Safe Debit Account – Open an account online
- Valley Bank Valley Journey Checking – Open an account online
- Wells Fargo Clear Access Banking – Open an account online
If you are not in the Suncoast region, please go to the Bank On national website for more information.
Steps to open a Bank On certified account
You can easily open a Bank On certified account online within minutes. Go to the links above that say “open an account online ” and fill out an account application form.
To open your new account online, you may need:
- Social Security Number or ITIN number
- State-issued identification (like your Driver’s License)
- Passport or a country-issued identification card
- Mailing address
- Date of Birth
All certified accounts can also be opened in each certified financial institution’s local branches. Be sure to refer to the specific account names listed above. If you would like one-on-one assistance to open a Bank On certified account, consider making an appointment with a United Way Suncoast Financial Resource Guide.
Find a Bank Near You
Please use the map below to find a bank or credit union near you!
About Bank On Suncoast
Bank On Suncoast is a grassroots coalition that consists of federal regulators, local governments, nonprofits, and insured financial institutions. The coalition aims to improve the financial stability of individuals who do not have any bank accounts or use alternative financial services like check-cashing services. Bank On’s goal is to ensure that everyone has access to safe and affordable banking services and products.
Ways to get involved in Bank On work
- Refer Bank On certified accounts to your friends and families who need safe and affordable checking accounts.
- Request an in-person or virtual banking education workshop for your program, group, or organization. The Bank On 101 module covers the essentials of personal banking.
- Integrate Bank On certified account opening process into your programs and services. The coalition partners with social programs and services that provide direct payments (e.g., wage, stipend) to individual clients. Using a safe and affordable bank account is one of the most effective approaches to learn about safe banking practices.
- Refer your financial institution partners to Bank On Suncoast. The coalition encourages all insured financial institutions to consider certifying a checking account to meet the Bank On National Account Standards.
- Join the coalition and receive updates of Bank On events and training resources by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
United Way Suncoast, with partnerships across the community, is committed to breaking the cycle of poverty by leading and participating in programs focused on helping families and individuals increase income and build financial assets.