For more than 27 years, United Way Suncoast (UWS) has been bringing together volunteers, companies, agencies and community groups for Day of Caring, a day dedicated to helping others and giving back, to create positive change in our communities.
That tradition continued when more than 2,300 volunteers turned out on October 11, 2019, rolled up their sleeves and tackled dozens of projects across the Suncoast region. The massive volunteer event, spanning five counties, saw caring people across our communities read to children, organize art activities and take on volunteer projects that included painting, light construction, cleaning, organizing, landscaping and a host of other projects at local social service agencies, schools and community organizations. Projects included:
- Reading with children, light gardening and sprucing up the grounds at Children First in Sarasota
- Preparing the competition field for the high school level robotics competition ROBOTICON, with Foundation for Community Driven Innovation in Tampa
- Cleaning and organizing the thrift store and pouring concrete for sidewalks and picnic area at Homeless Empowerment Program (HEP) in Clearwater
- Sprucing up Camp Honi Hanta by enhancing the interior lodge at Girl Scouts of Gulfcoast Florida in Bradenton
- Light construction and painting at a Habitat for Humanity home in Arcadia
Teams of employees from 39 local companies and community groups participated in Day of Caring, and the value of donated work for the event is estimated to be $273,932*, amounting to 10,772 hours or 269 weeks of work.
As one corporate volunteer stated, “For us, supporting our local United Way makes sense because it provides impact to so many different organizations and helps people with a variety of needs. There was a strong interest from our team to participate, and although this is our first year participating locally, I am sure it is the beginning of a great tradition.”
UWS is grateful to the companies, agencies and many volunteers who participated in the 2019 event. To see the Day of Caring participants and photos visit: https://www.volunteersuncoast.org/dayofcaring.
Companies and organizations interested in participating in the next Day of Caring, scheduled for October 9, 2020, can contact DayOfCaring@uwsuncoast.org. To find other year-round Suncoast-area volunteer opportunities, please visit www.volunteersuncoast.org.
*The Independent Sector, a leadership forum for charities, foundations and corporate giving programs, calculated the value of a volunteer (April 2019) at $25.43 per hour.