Building strong neighborhoods starts with an investment in people and the resources needed to support individual financial stability. By training volunteers and mobilizing a network of partners, United Way Suncoast leverages community resources – reaching directly into our neighborhoods to provide eligible community members with free tax preparation services. Thousands of people benefit from VITA and the impact touches them financially where it counts the most – their wallets.
The numbers are now in and we’re proud to report that United Way Suncoast and its partners, through the efforts of several hundred IRS-certified volunteers, completed more than 19,000 tax returns resulting in almost $20 million returning to Suncoast communities.
As impressive as these numbers are, they’ll continue to grow with the 2018 extension filer tax season running through July 31, 2019 and year-round sites opening in June and remaining open until November.
Your investment in United Way sustains VITA along with other important work in the community and we are very grateful for your support. We’re pleased to share a brief summary of year-to-date VITA results from the 2018 tax season.
VITA 2018 Tax Season – By the Numbers
- United Way Suncoast organized sites prepared 11,223 tax returns.
- United Way sites and VITA partners collectively prepared a total of 19,308 tax returns at 46 sites.
- A total of 354 IRS-certified volunteers generously gave their time to prepare tax returns.
- Community members received refunds totaling $15,834,381.
- Combining tax refunds and savings in tax preparation services, more than $19,699,181 went back to taxpayers in our community – funds that helped pay debt, secure safe housing, and more.
We’re grateful and want to extend our thanks to the dedicated network of community partners and VITA volunteers who generously gave their time and resources during the 2018 tax season. To learn more about United Way Suncoast’s VITA Program, please contact:
Senior Manager, Financial Stability