Publix and United Way Suncoast:
Partners in Helping our Communities!
United Way Suncoast LOVES Publix, and we don’t use the word LOVE lightly.
Associates kindle that love every time a United Way Suncoast team member walks into a Publix to get a chicken tender sub, a custom-made cake, seasoned meatballs or the latest sushi creation. You really do make shopping a pleasure.
But we also love Publix because your support helps us give families the Freedom To Rise. Publix and United Way Suncoast have partnered together for more than 40 years to provide help and hope to our communities.
As a Publix associate, you’ve helped make it our area’s top workplace campaign, fueling programs that help your friends and neighbors. And Publix Super Markets Inc. continues to shine as United Way Worldwide’s No. 1 global corporate partner.
For all you do, including the fresh avocados, the cleanliness on each aisle and your willingness to strengthen the communities where we live and work, the entire United Way Suncoast Team says, “THANK YOU!”
As this year’s theme suggests, we Unite To Inspire, and our partnership enlivens those words. Throughout the years, you’ve teamed with United Way Suncoast to generate millions for programs and initiatives that transform lives across our region.
Programs that are available to our entire community including Publix associates.
Our programs are designed to give PreK students the educational start they need to be prepared for kindergarten and ensure K-3 students are reading on grade-level by the end of 3rd grade. This is a critical indicator of future success as studies show that children who read on grade level by the time they start 4th grade are four times more likely to graduate high school
Our work centers around the 45% of Suncoast households who can’t cover basic needs and are one emergency away from crisis – the ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) population. Assistance is provided in a variety of ways including:
- Resource Centers – help adults reach a more financially stable future for themselves and their families by providing GED classes, resume assistance, computer access, legal aid and more:
- Financial Education – programs designed to help you make the most of your hard-earned dollars.
- Money Matters – free monthly webinars covering a variety of topics like Budgeting, Paying for College, Disaster Preparedness and Home Buying
- Financial Coaching – Individuals are paired with volunteer coaches who assist them in building a budget, saving, credit repair and other financial goals
- VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) – provides FREE one-on-one and online tax prep assistance to thousands of lower-income households ($73K max annual HH income for the latest tax year), ensuring they receive their maximum refunds. So far in 2023, VITA volunteers helped 9,942 families access nearly $10M in refunds and saved fees.
- Bank On Suncoast – connects unbanked and underbanked individuals with safe, affordable checking accounts.
Help in a Crisis
Through partnerships like 211 and our own emergency funding, we are here to help when our community is in crisis.
This initiative builds on the foundational elements of early learning by supporting youth success programs focused on college and career readiness skills and on-time graduation for middle and high school students.
For more info on the work that you help fund, view our 2022-25 Community Investment Strategic Partnerships by Impact Area.
Our sincerest gratitude goes out to all of you who go above and beyond to make our community a better place for all. We are proud to partner with you and grateful for your support. Thank you to all our existing United Way Suncoast donors. And, if you haven’t donated before, we hope this small glimpse into the critical work that you fund will inspire you to join all the wonderful Publix associates already giving back through their paycheck.
To make your donation, see your United Way Store Coordinator. If you are making a designation, print and fill out your 2023 Designation Form, then turn in to your United Way Store Coordinator before the campaign ends on September 17. Remember, you also need to make your actual pledge through the corporate pledge site.