Government Shutdown Resources
To our local Federal Employees –
You are an integral part of the Suncoast community, and we appreciate all that you do to keep our country safe. United Way Suncoast has put together a number of resources that may be of assistance to you during the Federal Government shutdown.
- Feeding Tampa Bay has several resources for food assistance. Click here for more information on mobile pantry distribution, food pantry, and mobile market grocery.
- Humane Society of Tampa Bay provides a food assistance program for pets.
Free pet food is distributed every Tuesday from 12pm to 3pm and every Saturday from 10am to 1pm. Proof of residency required.
For more information click here.
Reach out to your local 211 for assistance during the government shutdown.
Simply dial “211” to speak to a specialist, or search for your local 2-1-1 website by clicking this link and typing in your zip code and city.
Resources and Information for Common Questions:
- Furloughed workers can review guidance about unemployment benefits here.
- SNAP, WIC, Free and Reduced Price Lunch and other food security benefits are still active but check USDA for updated information.
- Public housing (Section 8) for most recipients should be paid through February. More information is available here and through local agency.
- Federal tax refunds are being accepted and processed as scheduled, beginning January 28th. More information is available here.
- Medicaid, CHIP, Disability, and Social Security Benefits are not affected by the shutdown.
- Benefits for Veterans through the VA are not affected by the shutdown.
List of Additional Resources:
- 211 – Crisis Center of Tampa Bay (Hillsborough County) Dial 211, or if you are calling from an out of state number dial (813)234-1234
- 211- Tampa Bay Cares (Pinellas County) Dial 211, or if you are calling from an out of state number dial (727)210-4357
- 211 Pasco County Dial 211, or if you are calling from an out of state number dial (727) 845-3030
- 211 Suncoast Cares (Serving Sarasota, Manatee and DeSoto Counties) Dial 211 for free referrals, 24/7/365 or text your zipcode to 898-211
- 211 has put together more resources on their website. Click here for access.
The Early Learning Coalition of Hillsborough County is making childcare assistance available for federal employees who are working without pay.Learn more by downloading this document: English version or Spanish version. Applications are accepted in office or by fax.
Required documents must be available at the time of submission.
Assistance with Home Ownership and Workforce Development
The Corporation to Develop Communities of Tampa, Inc. offers assistance in these areas:
The Homeownership Center a HUD approved housing counseling agency with certified housing advisors ready to assist clients through individual coaching or group workshops.
The Workforce Development Center offers workforce development solutions for career seekers and employers throughout the Tampa Bay region.
The Economic Prosperity Center offers help to move families forward on the path to financial stability.
TD Bank Payment Assistance Program
TD Bank Customers who are federal employees, contractors or receive federal benefits can enroll in the TD Cares Payment Assistance Program to help meet day-to-day financial needs during the partial government shutdown.
The program benefits will extend until those impacted begin receiving their regular government pay. Click here for more information.
Hillsborough County Public Works (813) 307-1868
City of Temple Terrace Utilities (813)506-6570
City of Plant City (813)659-4222
City of Tampa Utilities (813)274-8811
Hillsborough County Social Services (813) 272-5900
Pinellas County Public Works (727) 464-8900
Pinellas County Utilities Customer Service at (727) 464-4000
City of Clearwater Utilities (We Care Fund) (727) 562-4600
- Clearwater – (727) 464-4200
- St. Petersburg – (727) 464-4200
- Energy Assistance Resources for Florida Residents
- Pinellas (727)443-2641
- Duke Energy Florida (800)700-8744
- TECO Payment Arrangement
- TECO Payment Assistance
- Hillsborough County (813)223-0800
- Polk County (863)299-0800
All other counties or out of state call (888)223-0800