2020 is an election year in the middle of a pandemic. We have seen how quickly decisions that affect all our lives and standards of living can be made at national, state, and local levels. Everyone has something that they value, whatever your politics, this session is designed to hear from professionals in the field of advocacy. Hear about how they try to effect change for their clients, stories of impact, and best practices in championing any cause, and how you can become an advocate yourself.
- What makes an effective advocate?
- What does advocacy look like in 2020?
- Is virtual advocacy effective?
- What tools do professional advocates use?
- Where do you find issue-specific research?
- How can I track legislation that may impact my cause?
- How do I champion issues that may not directly affect me?
- In your career, what have you seen as effective advocacy?
- What has stood out? What are some strategies or communication to avoid?
- How do I get a meeting with an elected official? What is essential in getting my message across?
- Besides Tallahassee or elected officials, how do you work with nonprofits and local groups to a champion cause?
Moderated By Kiana Romeo, SHI International Corp.
The event will be held on the Zoom platform and registrants will receive an email 24 hours in advance with a link to attend the event.
Meet our Panelists:
Natalie King – RSA Consulting
Natalie King is a proven governmental and community relations leader in not only the Tampa Bay area but the State of Florida. As Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at RSA Consulting, Natalie has experience representing over 60 clients across a wide array of industries including Transportation, Early Learning, Veteran’s Issues, Workforce Housing, Vocational & Higher Education, Cultural Arts, Redevelopment, Growth Management Transportation, and Tort Reform.
Nicholas Glover – Tampa Bay Chamber
Nicholas Glover is Vice President of Government Affairs & Advocacy for the Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce, leading public policy efforts on behalf of the business community in the region. He is the Chairman of the Urban League of Hillsborough County.
Melanie Brown – Advent Health
Melanie Brown joined the AdventHealth West Florida Division as the Director of Government Relations in July 2019. Melanie has a decade of experience in the political arena and has served in the Office of the Speaker and the Office of Public Information and Appointments for the Florida House of Representatives. She has also led fundraising teams focused on raising money to elect candidates to the Florida House of Representatives.
Rep. Fentrice D. Driskell – FL63
Representative Fentrice D. Driskell was elected to the Florida House in November 2018 and serves on five different committees. She is an AV Preeminent-rated attorney with a degree from Harvard University, currently practicing law with Carlton Fields. Rep. Driskell has a strong belief in the importance of engaging women in leadership positions and engaging diverse voices in the democratic process.