|Job Title:||Director, Major Gifts-Sarasota, Manatee, DeSoto|
|Reports to:||Vice President, Major Gifts|
|Location:||Sarasota, Manatee, & DeSoto|
Summary: This position will play a vital role in ensuring United Way Suncoast (UWS) continues to serve as a leader in the non-profit community across our region. The Director is an experienced fundraiser focused on mission and values and shares our vision for ensuring a better future for all children, families and adults living in the five counties of United Way Suncoast.
The Director is responsible for creating and implementing strategies and building relationships that advance United Way Suncoast’s community building mission and philanthropic objectives. Working independently and in collaboration with board members, UWS team members, volunteers and others, the Director will build, cultivate and steward relationships with donors and prospective donors and support UWS fundraising objectives.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities Include the Following:
(Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Manages a portfolio of individual donors and prospects that includes donors who give through workplace campaigns.
- Develops, cultivates, stewards and maintains relationships with donors and prospects within the assigned portfolio.
- Implements and manages recognition for donors in the portfolio.
- Creates a donor cultivation strategy for all prospects and donors in the assigned portfolio.
- Implements annual and long-range plans to increase giving and levels of participation.
- Engages with donors and prospects to grow their involvement and connection to United Way Suncoast through personal contact, correspondence, invitations to UWS events, UWS site visits, etc.
- Documents significant donor/prospect information, relationship activities, interactions and communications, solicitations, historical data and other important details in CRM.
Education and/or Experience: A minimum of ten years professional work experience including past fundraising experience; BA/BS required; Advanced analytical skills to research and identify giving potential; Exceptional interpersonal and communication abilities; Proven ability to develop and strategically manage relationships and build trust with stakeholders; High-level of computer, CRM and technology proficiency; and a passion for United Way’s mission, vision and values.
Previous experience in the not-for-profit sector with a proven track record of developing relationships. Demonstrated success in securing charitable gifts in the 5, 6, and 7 figure range. Familiar with all aspects of fund development, Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) best practices, standards and ethics. Local experience is a must.
Ability to independently manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment; ability to assume responsibility and independently manage assigned portfolio; ability to set and achieve short and long-term goals. This role requires a high degree of personal responsibility and integrity.
Interpersonal Skills: Excellent active listening and relationship-development skills. Must be an articulate, empathetic communicator who is able to effectively communicate in both verbal and written communications. Strong complex problem solving, coordination, critical thinking, interpersonal and judgment skills required. Must have demonstrated a high level of experience and success in building productive relationships with diverse stakeholders. Must work well independently, as part of a team and cross functionally within the organization.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret business periodicals, news articles and professional publications. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to present information to and respond to questions from diverse individuals at all organizational levels including senior level decision makers.
Computer and Analytical Skills: Requires advanced knowledge of MS Office software and data base programs. Strong analytical and strategic planning skills required.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
- Behaviors reflect a belief that individuals from diverse backgrounds lead to a more successful organization.
- Educates oneself about DEI issues within the organization and community.
- Demonstrates a willingness to become aware of and address one’s own implicit biases.
- Deliberately works to include individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in efforts both internally and externally as appropriate.
- Identifies and integrates the tools and resources needed to create more equitable environments.
Licenses: Valid Florida Driver’s License with a driving record that meets our insurance guidelines
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motions and occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: Employee primarily works in a normal office environment under moderate heat and noise levels, with extensive in-the field activities within the Suncoast area.
United Way Suncoast provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
*Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this position, please visit: https://careers.unitedway.org