|Reports to:||Vice President, Finance|
Summary: Oversees all aspects of the general ledger. Primary responsibilities include ensuring that all United Way Suncoast revenue and expense streams are recorded in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and United Way Worldwide standards. Responsible for all general ledger reconciliations and month-end closing process. Oversees the accounts payable function.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities Include the Following:
(Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Has management oversight of the accounts payable function. Reviews and approves invoice coding and invoice entries completed by the Staff Accountant. Approves ACH batches for transmission.
- Has management oversight of the cash receipts function. Reviews and approves cash receipt batches entered by the Staff Accountant.
- Oversees the month-end close by ensuring all required tasks have been completed. Records activity relating to investments, campaign revenue, employee benefits, and depreciation to the general ledger. Maintains the monthly general ledger support book.
- Completes monthly reconciliations, including accounts receivables, accounts payable, prepaid expenses, Andar/MIP entries, and other G/L accounts as required.
- Maintains the fixed asset subledger system and reconciles it to the general ledger on a monthly basis. Coordinates the fixed asset inventory at year end and updates the subledger and general ledger for activity relating to disposals.
- Assists in the preparation of the monthly financial statements by agreed-upon deadlines.
- Monitors billings and receipts for special events and other revenue relating to sponsorships. Reconciles event results.
- Assists the VP of Finance with cash management needs and maintains banking relationships.
- Leads the year-end close activities and creates the audit preparation plan. Prepares audit schedules and serves as a primary contact with auditors during audit fieldwork.
- Works with audit firm to complete the annual IRS 990 filing. Prepares all schedules and works directly with the firm to complete the return.
- Reviews grant general ledgers for allowable expenses, posts grant revenue journal entries, and updates grant revenue schedules on a monthly basis. Prepares and submits grant invoices, including any required documentation, to funders on a monthly basis and follows up on outstanding grant payments receivable.
- Prepares and files required grant budget reports as needed. Maintains a schedule of all grant reporting requirements for the organization and works with program managers to ensure all reporting requirements are met on a timely basis.
- Monitors budget categories, spending rates and time restrictions to ensure all grants are on track to meet budgeted spending requirements. Proactively communicates with program staff and others when grant expenses are not on track to meet budget requirements.
- Participates in cross-functional teams overseeing organization-wide activities.
- Other special projects and responsibilities as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises the Staff Accountant.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in accounting or related financial field; minimum five years of related experience.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles; fund accounting, auditing, fiscal management; automated accounting systems and data processing inter‑relationships. Ability to effectively apply accounting and auditing techniques and procedures in the work performed; to prepare clear, complete and concise reports; to work on concurrent assignments and to meet deadlines; to communicate effectively orally and in writing, and to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work; strong work ethic, commitment to accuracy and a team player.
- Demonstrated success in communicating effectively orally and in writing.
Language Skills: Ability to effectively relay information and respond to questions from internal staff. Requires well-developed interpersonal communication skills, tact and diplomacy to develop and maintain effective internal customer service.
Mathematical Skills: Requires basic mathematical skills of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent and draw and interpret graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve routine problems within standardized policies and procedures. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or schedule form. Requires independent initiative under both specific and general supervision.
Computer Skills: Requires intermediate to advanced knowledge and application of word processing, spreadsheet and presentation computer software in a P.C. environment. Intermediate knowledge of databases and email software programs. Experience with general ledger software.
Other Skills and Abilities: Highly organized and attention to detail. Ability to maintain confidential information is critical to this position. Problem solver and self-starter who initiates solutions. Ability to write letters in a professional manner.
Licenses: Valid Florida Driver’s License with a driving record that meets our insurance requirements.
Other Qualifications: Ability to travel to Hillsborough, Manatee, Pinellas and Sarasota counties and other offsite locations as required.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion and occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must lift and/or move objects up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: Employee primarily works in a normal office environment under moderate heat and noise levels, with extensive in-the field activities within the Suncoast area.
United Way Suncoast is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way Suncoast will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
To apply for this position, please visit: https://careers.unitedway.org