GREAT BY 8
Great by 8 is a collaborative initiative through United Way Suncoast that educates parents on the importance of at-home and on-the-go reading. We bring together resources and individuals that have programs and material to become advocates for early literacy. Our goal is to increase at-home reading with children ages eight and under.
WHY EARLY LITERACY?
- Many studies have documented the importance of reading to young children.
- Children who enter kindergarten ready to learn are three to four times more likely to graduate, leading them to earn more, make better decisions, and be involved in their communities.
- Nearly 40 percent of kindergarteners in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties are unprepared for school. Nearly half of low-income households do not have children’s books in the home.
- United Way Suncoast wants to change that equation — one neighborhood, one family, one child at a time. We collaborate with a network of organizations and services to provide parents, early child care, and education providers with the tools they need to ensure that children are ready for school and on the pathway to success.
WAYS TO LEARN
OUR FOCUS AREAS
Campbell Park, St. Petersburg
Sulphur Springs, Tampa
North Greenwood, Clearwater
To find out how you or your organization can get involved, e-mail GB8@uwsuncoast.org or call 813-274-0900.
GAMES, ACTIVITIES AND LITERARY RESOURCES
- Learning Games for Kids .com
- Dr. Seuss’s Seussville
- PBS Homepage
- Sesame Street
- Reading Rockets