|Job Title:||Manager/Senior Manager, Mentoring and Tutoring Strategies|
|Reports to:||Director, Education Strategies|
|Location:||Tampa, with regional responsibilities|
Summary: Responsible for creating a centralized system for marketing, recruiting, matching, and improving the coordination and quality of volunteer mentoring and tutoring (M/T) for children and youth across United Way Suncoast’s 5-county region. Either design and initiate an online portal, overseeing the contract of a software programmer developing the portal, or work with a national organization to integrate the Suncoast region into their mentor matching portal. Serve as public face and provide ongoing oversight, direction and management of the portal and M/T systems improvement; in collaboration and coordination with the marketing department, market mentoring/tutoring opportunities to drive potential volunteers to the portal; and convene diverse groups across the region to advise on continual improvement in mentoring/tutoring strategies. Working with the Director, Education Strategies, and the team members within and outside of the Community Impact Department, implement strategies to enhance the early literacy, youth success and financial stability of children and youth in our region.
The Manager, Mentoring and Tutoring Strategies must be customer and partner focused, possess a high level of competency in facilitation of diverse groups, a strategic thinker, data-driven, innovative, and results oriented. This position will work closely with a variety of internal and external partners to implement strategies across a range of audiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
• Work with the Director, Education Strategies to develop key priorities for the mentoring/tutoring portal and systems development, and seek and implement innovative, evidence-based strategies to accomplish goals.
• Provide ongoing oversight, direction and management of the portal and M/T systems improvement.
• Develop and execute in collaboration with Marketing and Resource Development teams a plan for marketing mentoring/tutoring opportunities to drive potential volunteers to the portal. This will include coordinating and hosting events or working with United Way Suncoast staff and others to host events.
• Identify and implement strategies to encourage community-based mentoring and tutoring programs to generate positive support of mentors and tutors, resulting in long term relationships between mentors/tutors and the children they support.
• Serve as public face of United Way Suncoast M/T work. Present M/T portal and work to diverse groups and individuals. Represent United Way Suncoast on appropriate coalitions regarding Mentoring and Tutoring.
• In collaboration with other United Way Suncoast staff, develop and maintain relationships with human services, corporate (specifically coordinating with Resource Development), and other community leaders to maximize United Way Suncoast’s presence, build relationships, and identify potential partners for Education and M/T initiatives.
• Work collaboratively with other Community Impact managers to implement and manage high-quality programs that meet community level outcomes around Education initiatives. Work with all departments of United Way Suncoast to integrate mentoring/tutoring activities into our impact work.
• Ensure timely and appropriate data collection, analysis and reporting delivered as needed; work with team members to research and apply best practices to the design and continuous improvement of M/T activities. In partnership with our Marketing Department, draft/write communications materials for volunteer reports, events, marketing, or other organizational use.
• Demonstrate an understanding of regional education and mentoring/tutoring needs, issues and systems of quality. Articulate these both verbally and in writing to all stakeholders.
• May work with Director, Education Strategies and the Senior Manager, Grant Development and Management, to identify and pursue grant or other funding opportunities, following the defined processes and policies. Develop a plan in collaboration with the Director, Education Strategies, Senior Manager, Grant Development and Senior Manager Grant Accounting, to determine the specific responsibilities of each team member for each grant regarding submitting grant requests in a timely manner, and overseeing awarded grant requirements, including meeting reporting deadlines and budget management standards.
• Maintain a current understanding of and ability to articulate United Way Suncoast’s Strategic Plan, all impact and/or focus activities, and all results. Participate in appropriate internal and external committees/activities in support of United Way Suncoast’s community impact work.
• May serve as a Partner Agency Liaison providing year-round leadership and management support to United Way Suncoast partner agencies funded for Education programs, including participation in the annual volunteer review funding process, collecting and reviewing reports, conducting site visits, etc.
• Manage the M/T budget(s).
• Must be available for occasional evening/weekend work.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Potentially, volunteers
Qualifications: The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential job duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in education/counseling/social services, with advanced degree preferred. Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible relevant experience. Must be able to demonstrate a high level of experience and success in planning and directing large multi-facetted projects on time and on budget that achieve desired results. Experience as a mentor or tutor a plus. Demonstrated ability to work with senior leadership of high profile organizations and engage diverse constituencies in productive community efforts. Ability to facilitate strong partner relationships, build consensus, problem solve, apply critical thinking and judgment skills required.
Extremely proficient in presentation skills, training and facilitation, both one-on-one and in public. Must project a professional image at all times.
Must be self-motivated and work well independently and in a fast-paced team environment.
Knowledge of Project Management, Community Planning required. Knowledge of Educational and M/T Systems desired.
Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrated success using excellent communication skills, oral and written, including active listening, conflict resolution, coordination, facilitation, social perceptiveness, and consensus building skills necessary. Successful team-building and influencing diverse individuals and groups to achieve necessary outcomes.
Computer Skills: Requires advanced knowledge of MS office software. Knowledge of software to be used in the portal, such as Sales Force or Hinsonton’s a plus. Must have capacity to develop proficiency with portal software and related programs.
Presentations Skills: Requires advanced knowledge and ability to develop and deliver presentations, excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
Driver’s License and use of automobile: Valid Driver’s License and automobile for use in travel across the Suncoast region required.
United Way Suncoast is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions. United Way Suncoast will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use finger and hand motion and occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee primarily works in a normal office environment under moderate heat and noise levels with significant in-field time. Driving is required to a variety of sites that cover Desoto, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pinellas and Sarasota Counties.
To apply for this position, please visit: https://careers.unitedway.org